Monday, June 2, 2008

The Ability Cord

My little one said the funniest thing last night... but before I tell you what she said, I must fill you in on the fact that our cat recently had kittens. Lots of them... but that will be another post.


Anyway... Last night, Anna came into the living room where her dad and I were sitting and announced, "Yuck... there is an ability cord on the floor next to the kittens bed".

I said, "What kind of cord??".

She looked at me like I was crazy... and announced once more, "an ABILITY cord".

I laughed and looked at my husband and said, "I think that she must mean an umbilical cord".

But either way... I sent him to check it out. While he was gone... I sat there and laughed. An ability cord. My mind wondered just a bit to the birth of our babies and the cutting of the umbilical cord. (sorry if that is too yucky... I won't stay here long) I thought about the fact that without that cord... the baby couldn't live and grow. It is what connects it to the source of its life until it can live outside the womb on its own.

Then my mind JUMPED to something that Jesus told us in the gospel of John. John 15:5 says,

"I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

The only ability that I have comes through the cord (okay... the vine) that connects me to my Father. He says that I can do nothing without Him. He is MY ability cord. Without it... I can do nothing. God IS my ability cord.

Then... I wondered how many times have I tried to cut that cord so that I could live on my own?? Way too many times to count. Thankfully these days, God doesn't allow me much time to flounder on my own before He reminds me that I can only do things through Him. Without Him, I can do nothing. Oh well... Of course, I can do them... they just don't bear any fruit for the Kingdom. And as a branch... that is my sole purpose... bearing fruit for the Vine. Bearing fruit for my Father.

When my husband returned from the other room, the smile on my face was different. While it may have started with a laugh about something Anna said that was funny... God turned it into a moment between Him and me. (or is it I?? I don't remember)

Why do I try to cut that cord and do things on my own?? Have I forgotten how faithful He is?? Have I forgotten all of the storms that we have weathered together? Have I forgotten that He is the source of my very life?? Have I forgotten that He knows the number of hairs on my head?? Have I forgotten that He spoke the world into being... yet cares about every little thing in my life??

I realized that God was telling me to put away my scissors and stop trying to cut the cord. He is my Ability Cord. Without Him... I can do nothing. I can rest in that. AND, I will choose to rest in that.


post signature

7 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh how true, thanks for sharing this great story and reminding us what God is to us.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Some of the greatest lessons I've learned have come to me through the gift of my children's words. This is a great thought, Lynn, and I'm so glad that you chose to put it to pen rather than keeping itto yourself.

Through him, I have the ability to do all things. Without him, I'm as good as dead.

Peace and blessing to you this night. Have fun at study tomorrow. ~elaine

Kristen Schiffman said...

How precious. And true.

Amanda said...

Great story! I love that! Thank you for the tender reminder of the faithfulness of our Heavenly Father!

Kelly said...

Dear Lynn, Thank you for sharing this story! What a perfect picture of all that Christ can and should be in our lives. ~Kelly

Tracy said...

Wow Lynn...what a great message! Out of the mouths of babes...such wisdom, huh? Don't you love the way saturating your mind with scripture translates into such a wealth of object lessons? God begins to show you scripture through everything! Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings,
Tracy = )

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

Lynn,
GOD is awesome and HE spoke a word to you for all of us! I love it!

I needed something to tell a young girl at work who's husband has just received our Father's gift of grace for salvation. He is afraid if he messes up he's not being what a Christian should be.

Yes, some faulty doctrine for sure, but where I live there are alot of things that are taught - scriptural jigsaw. I pray for them to gain wisdom and insight.

BUT, the ability cord...I'm going to tell him that! How awesome!

Thank you for listening to our Father when HE speaks and sharing.

I love HIM so much!!! We are blessed just to be HIS "girls" :-)

You, like myself gain so much from Beth and her teaching - you know what I mean when I say, "that think can teach till the cows come home!" :-)

Love and blessings,
Teri