Friday, April 18, 2008

One sick little puppy... or is it more ?


My mom's dog is sick. She noticed a couple days ago that he wasn't eating like he should. He stopped playing hard like he usually does. He wouldn't even eat for my daughter... which is crazy.... because they are the very best of friends. Yesterday he threw up. (sorry... if you have a weak stomach) and today he threw up again. ( that was the last time....I promise) So... at my youngest daughters urging ... off to the vet they went this morning. As it turns out.... he has a weak stomach as well. He had some pork still just sitting in his stomach ... and not digesting. (now, who would give their dog sausage for breakfast besides a 70 years old woman??) To top it off... he is greedy when it comes to his raw-hide bones... so he chews off big pieces and swallows them just in case we decide we want him to share with us. (never....) And they are just sitting there as well. So... now he is sick. My daughter was heartbroken that they decided to keep him at the vet's office for a few days. Hopefully... he will bounce back soon. But... of course now... he has new food rules... no pork, no raw-hide, and no people food, (there go the eggs and sausage for breakfast...).

He had no idea that what he was putting inside of himself would make himself sick. It seemed innocent enough.

Don't we do the same thing?? Watch a little bit of this, watch a little bit of that, listen to some gossip, listen to some crude jokes, read a little of this, and a little bit of that.... and before we know it... we're sick... in our hearts and minds. At the beginning... we think... this really isn't a big deal. I know what is right and what is wrong. But as time goes on... our vision gets a little cloudy. Our hearts get a little harder and a little colder. Before too long, we aren't eating from God's Word anymore on a regular basis, We aren't serving as usual... and well... as far as throwing up... ( I promised, didn't I?? Sorry) our flesh does begin to "throw out there" what we have put in. I have heard it said so many times before.... "Garbage in, Garbage out". And it is true. We can't put garbage in and expect the fruit of the Spirit to come out. We can't put gossip in... and expect grace and mercy to come out. We can't watch TV shows that make light of sin and living an ungodly lifestyle and not expect our standards to get a little watered down.

Paul warns us in Romans 12:1-2, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-- this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-- his good, pleasing and perfect will."

The only way to be transformed is to renew our minds. To fill it with God's Truth. So... we need to stay in God's Word and stay in constant communication with God. Only He can transform our minds and hearts. One prayer I often pray comes from Psalm 51:10...

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

I want to put God's Word in... and praise come out. I want to put God's Word in... and grace and mercy come out. I want to put God's Word in... and compassion and love come out. I want to put God's Word in and my life be changed. What about you... what do you expect to come out of what you are putting in??

post signature

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I love your blog! The layout is beautiful and your words...well, you made me cry (in a good way). You left a message on my blog so I jumped on over here to say thank you for what your wrote (got teary there too) but then I started reading. What a blessing to start my day off with. Hope your weekend is great. May your cup runneth over.

Melanie

Amanda said...

Love the new page!

I'm with you! Less (no) stuff... more God please!!

Loved your last post too! As we're cleaning out excessively collected stuff! AHHH! Too much... stuff! Get ride off it! Fill in the fresh new big hole, God!!!

Good pick me up after a day cleaning... stuff.
*grin!*

Regina said...

I'm there with you Lynn. I want to be filled to the measure with Him. So no matter what comes my way in life He is what comes out.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Me too! I want the fullness of God's Word living within. This requires a sacred obedience for the process...one that I am not always willing to embrace, but one that I cannot afford to miss if I am going to live in the abundance afforded me as a daughter of the King.

peace~elaine