Thursday, February 12, 2009

Beauty Shop Talk

Yesterday I went to get my hair "conditioned". Now... if you are someone that really knows me well, you just translated that word "conditioned" to "colored". Anyway.... You know what talk can be like in the beauty shop. Sometimes you hear about someone that is sick. Sometimes you hear about someone caught up in a life of sin. Sometimes you hear about an arguement that someone just had.... or what they really don't like about their spouse. I know that "beauty shop talk" has a bad reputation.... but yesterday was different.

While I was laying back in the shampoo bowl... I could hear the lady in the next chair talking about something. I caught the words, "Beth Moore". My ears perked up. I strained to hear what they were saying. The customer was asking her hair stylist if she had ever done a Beth Moore Bible study. She said, "yes"....... Then my hair stylist got in on the conversation. They asked her if she had ever done one of her studies. Sadly... not only had she never done one... she didn't even know who she was. GASP! I couldn't believe my ears. I stayed quiet while my stylist then ripped out my eyebrows... and any other unwanted hair on my face. I couldn't wait to get into an upright position so that I could get in on their conversation. When I asked the other customer where she went to her study, we struck up a loooong conversation about studying the Bible. It was so refreshing to hear that kind of talk in the beauty shop. We shared about the studies that we had done... the ones that we were hoping to do next... and which ones were our favorites... She and I both shared about things that really spoke to us in the studies we are doing right now. I didn't even want to leave when it was time for me to go. She asked for my name, email address, and phone number so that we could be in contact again.

This morning when I got up.... I had an email from her. She suggested that we get our groups together sometime in the future. She shared with me that her group had even come up with a motto for themselves the night before.

God's timing is perfect. Meeting a new sister in Christ in the beauty shop... bringing Him glory in our conversation.... and who knows what else He has in store for us in the future. To God be the glory.

post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How refreshing. You will never know for what reasons that this conversation came about at the beauty shop. Preston (the little boy we have been praying for) is the son of the girl who does my hair. I remember spending an hour or so talking with her about being a Christian not long before Preston became sick. So you never know.

Beverly said...

WOW how refreshing to hear conversation coming from a beauty shop that was not just gossip like most I've been too.

Laura said...

How awesome is that? My stylist is a crazy Kay Arthur precepts follower. We talk Jesus the whole time I'm getting my hair done. It's part of my "beauty treatment."

HOpe all is well in your world, Lynn!

:)Laura

Paula V said...

That is awesome, Lynn. It has God's writing ALL over it. Yay!!!

Amy said...

That's why I always love getting my hair "conditioned" by Melissa. I always leave her shop feeling beautiful on the inside, as well as the outside.;)

God uses us exactly where we are at, amen?;)

((BIG HUGS!))
Amy:)

Libby said...

I am so excited! My book for our study arrived today...we are doing the new study on Esther. The title alone seemed perfect "Its tough being a woman". I can't wait to get started, thanks for the suggestion to Beth Moore.

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

You are so full of GOD'S light, Lynn! You just have a heart that is sold out for HIM and HE is about to use you more than you will ever know or believe.

You definitely have HIS heart!

Blessings and love dear sweet one,
Teri