Friday, August 22, 2008

Yes to God... on whatever day it is


I cannot believe that it has been a week since I have posted. I think that all 5 or so of you that read this blog regularly must think that I have fallen off the face of the earth... but that is not true. This week has been quite an adjustment for me and my family.

Wednesday both my girls started to public school. I think that most of you know that we have homeschooled for the last 6 06 7 years. Wow!! This has been different.

I know that you think that without them in the house that I should have plenty of time to blog and read blogs... but I wouldn't allow myself to even log onto the computer until all of my chores were done. I know myself too well... once I start... I don't move until someone makes me move. I still haven't finished my chores... but I decided to take a little break to explain what is going on, and to write about the chapters in our book study; What Happens When Women Walk in Faith.

This book is awesome. If you haven't read it you need to run out to the store and get it right away.


Chapter Twelve Learning to Lead

At first I wasn't even sure that this chapter would apply to me since it is not my lifelong goal to be a leader... but with one simple comment Lysa put that theory to rest.

God is calling you to live out His dream for you, and part of the dream is to lead. As we seek to believe God like never before, We WILL set an example for others to follow.

That makes us leaders... like it or not... there are always people watching me... watching you... seeing if what we talk about it real. That alone makes us their leader. That is a big responsibility.

The next comment that really spoke truth to me is...

When you experience God working through you despite your human shortcomings, your confidence in Him and His abilities will grow more than ever before.

I can tell you that when I started having a little Bible study in my home on Tuesday nights that I knew that I was totally under qualified. From the moment that I invited the people that I wanted to come... to this very day... God has shown me that this is not about what I want... This is HIS plan. Not one person that I had hoped would be a part of this study comes to this study... BUT everyone that God wanted to be a part of this study group is here. IT is ALL about His plan. I have seen God work in these ladies lives like nothing I have ever seen before. I am awed every single week as He allows me to be a witness to His work. Even weeks that I am not prepared myself for class... God shows up and does His thing. My confidence in Him and His ability have grown unbelievably.

God has been speaking to me for a while about this next thing...

That reaction is the real litmus test revealing the condition of my heart.

Lysa is referring to the way that we react to stressful situations. It is easy to be obedient and godly when things are going easy... it is when the stress is turned up a notch that the real condition of my heart is revealed. YUCK!! I really hate that. Way too often my reaction doesn't show the part of me that I would like others to see... but it is showing the condition of my heart. I don't want to just act right on the outside... I want God to see right on the inside as well. It is never going to be enough for me to do right... I want to BE right with God.

Lysa really stirred up my heart with this...

Moses desired God's presence more that he desired to enter the promised land. In Exodus 33:18-23, Moses' secret desire to see God comes to pass. Though he only got to see His back, he saw God nonetheless. Once he saw God, everything else paled in comparison. Maybe this is why being excluded from the promised land didn't appear to rattle him.

Well... doesn't that just say it all. God's presence is far better than anything that looks good to the world. I would just as soon stay where I am and know God's awesome presence than to be rich in the world's eyes. I do pray that things ease up with our finances... but if I have to make the choice of seeing and knowing God like things are, or for things to get lots better and lose that... well... I am choosing God.

Okay... and how come I never realized that God did allow Moses to come into the land of promise?? At the transfiguration... He was standing in the promised land with Jesus himself. What?? How come I never saw that??? Thanks so much Lysa.

Lysa then pointed out...

The only thing Moses lacked from his Egyptian upbringing was a close walk with God. Moses' 40 years in the desert gave God ample time to remedy that situation.


Many times I feel like I have been taken out back of the woodshed by God to remedy a situation that I find myself in. His sole purpose is to help me walk closer to Him. It is all worth the beating or the detour that God uses to bring us closer to Him.



Chapter Thirteen Death Does Not Mean Defeat

Lysa tells us of a time that she felt like her world was coming to an end... only to realize that it was God's plan for something better.

The very things that feel like death are really a birth of something so much better.

What an awesome statement. I need to write that on an index card as soon as I finish this post. I need to remind myself of that every time I think things aren't going like I want them to. God's way may not be the shortest... but it is the ordained route. I love that.

I have truly loved this study. I really hate that I can't seem to get my post ready by Tuesday... but I will tell you that the truths of this book stay with me all week long. Check out the other ladies comments by clicking here.

I hope that there aren't too many typos or errors... I have got to get up and do the rest of my chores. Sorry....

With lots of love,


post signature

11 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Been thinking of you and all the adjustments you are making this week. All of mine are now out of the house, and I am still struggling with my time. Routine will come and you'll get in a groove. Just allow yourself the needed space to adjust. I'll be here. I love coming here, Lynn, and your valuable insights, even though I'm not reading the book.

God's moving you into a new season of living. It might feel strange at first, but it will find its comfort before long.

peace~elaine

Amy said...

That was an awesome post, Lynn!

So much to let sink in.

It sounds like from everything that you have shared that we are in very similar places in our walks with God.

I never put two and two together about Moses either. I love when new things get brought to my attention like that.

Thank you for sharing your heart.
I pray that all goes well for you and your children with this upcoming school year.

God Bless,
Amy:)

BethAnne said...

"reaction is the real litmus test revealing the condition of my heart".

So true. I have been thining alot about this very thing lately...("out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks" OR I react badly)

Good word for me today....thanks!

Melanie said...

It sounds like it's been a really great study. The NOG study I've done this summer was good too. I didn't think I was getting much out of it in the beginning until God started opening my eyes. This was also the first summer that I managed to stay in the Word, Praise His Name.

Anyway, I pray your adjustment to public school (and the kids') goes smoothly. It's always an adjustment for me when the kids go back and that's only after a summer of being home. I've never home-schooled in my life so I can only imagine what it must be like for you.

I'm a little nervous about my daughter's teacher to be - I hear not much work comes home from this teacher for parents to see. I like knowing and seeing for myself what my kids are learning and/or struggling with.

Well, time for me to do some laundry myself.

Bless you, Lynn.
Melanie

Pinkshoelady said...

Hi Lynn,
I really, really needed to hear this today!

Too many changes at one time have me questioning everything.

Did I hear God right?
What am I doing?
Can I do that?
Why now?

You know the drill. But I still trust and I still will say yes! Oh one last question....Can I close my eyes the way I did when I was a scared little girl? I promise to peak through! :}

Pamela

Tracy said...

Hi Lynn!
You crossed my mind and I stopped over to see how things were going with the new school changes, etc.
Praying that transition settles in smoothly.

It sounds as though you and I are similar in more ways than one. I always try to make myself be very intentional when I start a routine, otherwise, very quickly I let my time get away from me. You'll soon be in the swing of things.

You've made me want to get this book! I especially loved your Moses insights and things that are perceived failures. I related with what you said about leading a Bible study. The one I do with my co-workers literally scares me to death. It is so clearly God and not me. I have to pray through the anxiety each and every time as I feel so under-equipped. God is so faithful and He continues to show up (believe me I rejoice in that!)

Blessings, sweet friend!
Tracy

Jill Beran said...

Lynn, It was good to read your words. I pray the school adjustment goes well, I plan to start teaching my son Kindergarten on Monday. I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to work on my reaction!!! This book has been great and don't worry about being late with the study, it gives us all a wonderful opportunity to be reminded of critical points. It's all in God's timing and like you say even when we are late are unprepared He shows up. Thanks for sharing, Jill

Beverly said...

Lynn,
Thanks for sharing. I am reading this book but not quite as far along as you are since I was reading another at the same time. It's been great seeing how God is working in your life in each chapter and then to see how He moves in mine after I've read that chapter. I hope things are going well with your new schedule. I will see you tomorrow hopefully and oh by the way I have a new lady that would like to join the Tuesday night Bible Study. Would that be O.K. with you?

Amanda said...

Awesome. This book is definitely on my "short list" (yeah right...short??) to read. I'm excited about it just from your posts!!

Amanda said...

Awesome. This book is definitely on my "short list" (yeah right...short??) to read. I'm excited about it just from your posts!!

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Lynn! I am right there with you, girlfriend! We started school too--and survived! I commented on Pam's post that I thought about y'all on Saturday. We passed by the outlets in Gaffney!! But we didn't get to stop!!

Thanks for you thoughts on these chapters! I got so much out of them as well.

Love ya,
Susan